Working for us
You will have the opportunity to manage the production of journals, reports, books and other publications, in both print and digital form, for leading publishers and public sector organisations throughout Europe.
You will have direct contact with clients and the opportunity to develop a strong personal reputation for quality, reliability and delivering results. Note that we are a specialist publishing services company: our clients are publishers, but we are not.
The skills you bring to us will determine which team you work in and which clients you work for. We generally look for people with strong experience of one or more of the following:
- editorial office management
- substantive editing or rewriting
- publishing project management.
First-class technical skills are in demand too (see the side panel), but not as frequently as those listed above.
We are seriously considering opening an office in another European Union member state at some point. Depending on your skills and abilities and our business needs, you could have the opportunity to work for us there, either on a short-term placement (3–6 months) or on a more long-term basis.
- Unless otherwise stated, all posts advertised here are full-time and are based in Perth. Full-time means working 37.5 hours weekly during Monday to Friday inclusive (there is a flexible working scheme).
- All employees, unless they opt out, are automatically enrolled in a contributory pension plan (to which the company also contributes 3% of qualifying earnings). There is a scheme for providing financial support for long-term distance learning courses.
- Holiday entitlement is 29 days annually, including four company fixed days (two at Christmas and two at New Year), rising to 34 days after 3 years’ service.
- Occasional travel may be required, e.g. for training or to conferences or to clients’ offices in the UK or abroad (typically mainland Europe). This is a key requirement for all posts.
- An ideal background is a degree in science or humanities and either relevant publishing experience or a postgraduate publishing qualification. Relevant experience means experience gained in an editorial, design, production or technology environment, preferably with an STM or humanities publisher.
- We are an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership status, or pregnancy or maternity status.
- We do not accept applications submitted by or sent via recruitment agencies.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK and supply proof of this.
Please use the tabs below to navigate to particular jobs.
Applications are now closed (as of 19 May 2017)Thanks to everyone who applied. We received 19 applications. Interviews will take place in Perth during late May and early June. If you make it to our shortlist, we will be in touch to arrange an interview.
About the job
You will be expected to manage the editorial office systems and processes for a suite of academic journals on a variety of subjects.
You will liaise with authors, academic editors, reviewers, and clients to ensure that journal quality and integrity are maintained and article review targets are met.
The salary for this post will be in the range £18,900 to £26,250. Successful applicants with no relevant publishing experience will start at the bottom of the grade. A relevant postgraduate qualification, e.g. PhD or MSc in publishing, will also be taken into consideration when determining starting salary.
For this post you must have a good degree in a science or humanities subject and understand the academic publishing and peer review process. Previous editorial office experience with STM journals, and especially experience of ScholarOne or similar manuscript-tracking systems, is advantageous but not essential.
You will need to be well organised, meticulous and resourceful, and able to plan your workload and solve problems on your own. You will have excellent communication skills, and be able to communicate appropriately with authors, academic editors, reviewers and clients. You will be happy working alone and with colleagues as part of a team.
You must be eligible to work in the UK.
How to apply
If you are interested here is what to do:
- describe your publishing career and experience, if any, and explain why you are suitable for this post
- attach a full CV in MS Word or PDF format
- include your current salary and/or salary expectations.
Send your application to Dr Lucy Harrier using our application form. Please let us know where you first saw this vacancy.
The closing date for applications is 17:00 on Friday 19 May 2017. Everyone who applies will receive an acknowledgement. Interviews will be held during late May and early June.
Frequently asked questions
- Follow our requirements closely and submit as comprehensive an application as possible. If you don’t explain why you are suitable or supply a full CV you are unlikely to be interviewed.
- Your cover letter is vital as it tells us how good you are at conveying information – the core service we provide. It should have impeccable spelling and grammar. Tell us what you can offer, not just how you expect to benefit from the job.
- Note that possessing a degree in a publishing or academic subject is essential.
- Please try not to ask us questions that have been answered in this list.
We welcome speculative applications even when we are not actively recruiting, but only if you have solid publishing experience.
We won’t reply directly, but we will keep your details on file and consider your application if a suitable vacancy comes up in the following 3 months.
Skills we are particularly interested in:
- writing and rewriting
- copy-editing, especially in science and medicine
- publishing project management
- editorial office management
Please note that only occasionally do we use freelance resources for copy-editing and proofreading, and when we do we almost always use previous employees or freelance editors we have known for many years.Apply now!